While most houseplants are not harmful, there are some poisonous houseplants that require safety precautions. Here is a quick look at the five most common poisonous houseplants and how to protect your family and pets.
Many people enjoy planting daffodil bulbs inside to force their blooms. However, these spring bulbs look like onion or shallot bulbs and can be eaten by mistake. If ingested by humans or pets, the symptoms include intense stomach pain, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure and possible death.
2. Dumb Cane
Dumb Cane plants are common poisonous houseplants because they can grow in low-light areas. The name of this plant comes from the symptoms that happen when ingested. The sap from the leaves can make the tongue swell and burn, even to the point of blocking off air to breathe.
3. Easter Lilies
These beautiful yet poisonous houseplants are more harmful to cats than to children. When a cat eats any part of the Easter lily, it can cause kidney failure and death. If you suspect that your cat has eaten some of this plant, see a veterinarian as soon as possible.
4. English Ivy
While it would take a lot of ingested ivy to cause any major problems, English ivy has been known to cause skin irritation to humans.
Oleanders are extremely poisonous houseplants for animals and humans. In fact, you should wear gloves and immediately wash your hands when pruning this plant. Oleander’s sap and berries can be fatal causing fever, rash and a burning throat.
Prevention is the best way to protect your family and pets from these common poisonous houseplants, but you should also be aware what to do in an emergency. If any of these plants are ingested, find out how much was eaten and contact your local poison control center right away.
Don’t forget to call Olympic Lawn & Landscape in the Lee’s Summit and Kansas City area at (816) 875-9645.