Gardening can be a great way to get outside, get some physical activity, and grow healthy fruits and vegetables for you and your family to enjoy. June is Safety Awareness Month, and to celebrate, we’re going to give you some expert safety tips to take to your home not so far from home: your backyard garden.
Dress to Protect
Gear up to protect yourself from lawn and garden pests, harmful pesticides and herbicides, sharp or motorized equipment, bugs, and too much sun.
- Wear safety goggles, sturdy shoes, and long pants to prevent injury when using power tools and equipment.
- Protect your hearing when using machinery. If you have to raise your voice to talk to someone who is an arm’s length away, the noise can be potentially harmful to your hearing.
- Wear gloves to lower the risk for skin irritations, cuts, and certain contaminants.
- Use insect repellent containing DEET. Protect yourself from diseases caused by mosquitoes and ticks. Wear long-sleeved shirts, and pants tucked in your socks. You may also want to wear high rubber boots because ticks are usually close to the ground.
- Lower your risk for sunburn and skin cancer. Wear long sleeves, wide-brimmed hats, sun shades, and sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
Power tools and even un-powered tools and equipment can cause serious injury. Limit distractions and be sure to use equipment and chemicals properly. Being prepared and aware of hazards can lower any risk of injury.
- Follow any instructions and warning labels on chemicals and lawn and garden equipment.
- Make sure all equipment is working properly.
- Sharpen your tools carefully.
- Keep harmful chemicals, tools, and equipment out of children’s reach.
Contact Us Today
Olympic Lawn and Landscape, Inc. takes safety seriously. For more information on gardening safety or to schedule an appointment for our expert lawn and landscape services, call (816) 875-9296 or contact an expert.